Arizona Nurses Association Bylaws 2015
Article I Title and Functions
a) to promote through appropriate means standards of nursing practice, nursing education, and nursing services as defined by the American Nurses Association (ANA),
b) to advocate for registered nurses and promote AzNA’s public policy agenda,
c) to promote and protect the general welfare of registered nurses,
d) to provide for the continuing professional development for registered nurses,
e) to approve and provide continuing education for registered nurses,
f) to represent registered nurses and serve as their state spokesman with allied professional, community and governmental groups and with the public,
g) to provide for representation in the ANA Membership Assembly,
h) to promote relationships with the Student Nurses’ Association of Arizona (SNAAZ),
i) to promote nursing as a career,
j) to assume an active role as healthcare consumer advocate,
k) to maintain communication with members through official publications,
l) to provide due process policies for grievances and appeals related to these bylaws, pursuant to common parliamentary and statutory law.
Article II Chapters
SECTION 1. DEFINITION
SECTION 2. PURPOSE
SECTION 3. DUTIES
a) It shall be the duty of each chapter of AzNA:
1. to require that all its members have the qualifications specified in Article III, Section 2 of bylaws,
2. to send to the secretary of AzNA, the names and addresses of all officers and other members of the board of directors of the chapter immediately following their election or appointment,
3. to confer with the Committee on Bylaws of AzNA before adopting any proposed amendments to its bylaws,
4. to adopt and maintain bylaws consistent with the bylaws of this association and keep this association supplied with complete and up-to-date copies of the same,
5. to suggest names of candidates for AzNA ballot and to send the names of these members with addresses to the Nominations Committee,
6. All chapters shall submit a full financial report to AzNA Treasurer annually by January 31.
7. Chapters must enter into and abide by an AzNA chapter agreement. These agreements shall be reviewed periodically as defined by AzNA policy.
b) A chapter which fails to comply with the requirements of these bylaws, or for other cause deemed sufficient, may be disqualified as a chapter of AzNA by a unanimous vote of the board provided due notice has been given the chapter at least three months before the vote is taken.
SECTION 4. DISSOLUTION
SECTION 5. REINSTATEMENT
Article III Membership and Dues
SECTION 1. COMPOSITION
a) current members of a chapter
SECTION 2. QUALIFICATIONS
a) who has been granted a license to practice as a registered nurse in at least one state, territory, or possession of the United States and does not have a license under suspension or revocation in any state, or is otherwise entitled by law to practice, and
b) whose dues are not delinquent, and
c) whose membership in AzNA or another constituent state nurses association (C/SNA) is not under revocation due to disciplinary action, and/or
d) who is a registered nurse in recovery, who has surrendered a license to practice, or a registered nurse who has retired and/or no longer chooses to practice but whose license was in good standing with his/her licensing board at the time the nurse made the decision not to maintain an active license.
SECTION 3. MEMBERSHIP RIGHTS
a) The members of AzNA shall continue to have all rights of membership in the American Nurses Association as provided in the ANA Bylaws until such time as 2/3 of the entire AzNA membership votes to disaffiliate from the ANA. “AzNA membership,” for these purposes, is defined as individual members of AzNA who have ANA rights and privileges of membership as a result of their AzNA membership. The vote may occur by mail or electronic ballot, with appropriate notice and procedures to protect the integrity and validity of the vote.
b) Members shall have rights as follows:
1. to hold unrestricted membership in accordance with ANA Bylaws,
2. to receive a membership card and official publications of AzNA and ANA,
3. to vote for AzNA board and elected committee members, ANA Membership Assembly representatives and alternates, in accordance with ANA bylaws and other issues brought to membership meetings,
4. to attend membership meetings,
5. to be a candidate for election to AzNA and ANA elective and/or appointive positions in accordance with AzNA and ANA Bylaws and applicable policies,
6. to vote for and/or be a candidate for office in the chapter with which they affiliate,
7. to attend conventions, ANA Membership Assembly and other unrestricted activities of AzNA, and ANA,
8. to submit proposals for consideration by AzNA,
9. to attend the Congress of International Council of Nurses,
10. to due process for grievance and appeal
SECTION 4. MEMBERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
a) to abide by the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses and Bylaws of AzNA and ANA,
b) to fulfill the requirements of an office or committee if elected or appointed,
c) to respond to ballots
SECTION 5. MEMBERSHIP MOBILITY
a) A member who moves out of state may apply to AzNA for transfer to another constituent state nurses association (C/SNA) of ANA. Individual members are not required to pay additional dues nor are entitled to receive refunds of any dues paid on transferring from AzNA to another C/SNA.
b) A member of another C/SNA of ANA who moves to Arizona may transfer to AzNA. Individual members are not required to pay additional dues nor are entitled to receive refunds of any dues paid on transferring from another C/SNA to AzNA.
c) A member may transfer from one chapter to another within AzNA without further payment of dues for the remainder of the membership year.
SECTION 6. HONORARY RECOGNITION
SECTION 7. LIFE MEMBERSHIP
a) Members may recommend life membership for a nurse who has rendered distinguished service or valuable assistance to the nursing profession. Such recognition must be unanimously approved by the board. If honor is approved, it is conferred at the next membership meeting.
b) Life members shall pay no AzNA or ANA, dues and dues shall be paid by AzNA.
c) Life members shall have all the rights and privileges of membership.
SECTION 8. CAUSE FOR DISCIPLINARY ACTION
a) Cause for disciplinary action by AzNA against a member shall be limited to failure to fulfill the obligations as cited in these bylaws, and other actions detrimental to the purpose, goal, and functions of AzNA and ANA and shall be conducted in accordance with policies and procedures established by the board including a right to appeal pursuant to common parliamentary and statutory law. The board shall have the final disciplinary authority over members.
b) Any disciplinary action taken by another C/SNA shall be given full recognition and enforcement provided such action was taken in accordance with the disciplining C/SNA’s bylaws and disciplinary procedures.
SECTION 9. DUES
a) Dues for AzNA and chapters shall be paid in accordance with policies adopted by AzNA. The annual state dues for a member shall be determined by the voting body of AzNA. In the event that the rate of dues payable to the ANA by AzNA is increased in the future, any such change shall be automatically added to the annual dues owed by a member.
b) No monies shall be refunded nor additional monies collected when a change in dues category is made within a membership year.
c) Any proposal of changes in dues rates or categories shall be published to the members at least sixty (60) days prior to the meeting to be voted upon.
d) AzNA shall continue to pay dues to the ANA pursuant to the ANA bylaws and Membership Assembly policy until such time as 2/3 of the entire AzNA membership votes to disaffiliate from the ANA pursuant to Article III, Section 3.
Article IV Board of Directors
SECTION 1. DEFINITION
SECTION 2. COMPOSITION
a) The board shall consist of AzNA elected officers who represent the diversity of the profession:
1. there shall be five officers, president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and governmental affairs officer,
b) To serve on the board, a person shall:
1. hold current membership in AzNA, and
2. not concurrently serve as an officer or director of another organization if such participation might result in a conflict of interest in AzNA.
SECTION 3. AUTHORITY
SECTION 4. ACCOUNTABILITY
SECTION 5. RESPONSIBILITIES
a) exercise the corporate responsibilities and fiduciary duties of the association consistent with applicable provisions of law,
b) oversee the implementation of association policies, positions, and programs approved by AzNA membership,
c) oversee the development and implementation of strategies that support AzNA growth,
d) approve and enforce policies and procedures for the transaction of business, coordination of the association and operation and maintenance of AzNA headquarters,
e) provide financial oversight (approve and enforce) financial policies and procedures, approve the budget, and present an annual financial statement to the membership,
f) appoint standing and ad hoc committees of the board as deemed necessary for the performance of its duties and define the purpose and authority of such committees,
g) approve the dissolution of chapters,
h) make appointments and fill vacancies as delegated to the board in these bylaws,
i) approve logistics for general and special membership meetings,
j) approve the appointment of representatives of this organization to other official and non-official agencies, organizations and groups,
k) appoint and define the authority and responsibility of, and annually review the performance of the executive director as the chief executive officer,
l) approve chapter status on groups meeting qualifications established in these bylaws,
m) collaborate with SNAAZ and other nursing entities,
n) maintain membership in and pay dues to ANA in accordance with policies adopted by the ANA Membership Assembly
o) provide for the election of ANA Membership Assembly members and alternates in accordance with the ANA Bylaws and applicable policies, and AzNA Bylaws, policies and procedures,
p) assure that AzNA fulfills its responsibilities as constituent state nurses association (C/SNA) of ANA,
q) assume other duties as may be provided for elsewhere in these bylaws and by the AzNA membership,
r) approve action on issues relevant to the association mission,
s) approve policy on limits/use of membership list,
t) approve policy for grievance and appeal.
u) approve policies and procedures for AzNA nominations and elections
v) approve qualifications for appointive positions unless otherwise specified in these bylaws
w) comprise the personnel committee
SECTION 6. TERM OF OFFICE
a) Board members shall be elected annually for two-year terms as follows:
· The President, Secretary and Director of Governmental Affairs shall be elected on odd years.
· The Vice President and Treasurer shall be elected on even years.
The President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Director of Governmental Affairs shall be elected as follows:
b) Terms of office shall commence on the adjournment of the membership meeting at which the election is announced.
c) No board member shall serve more than two (2) consecutive terms in the same office and no more than eight (8) consecutive years on the board (in any role).
d) Any board member who has served twelve (12) months or more shall be considered to have served a full term.
SECTION 7. VACANCIES
a) in the office of president, the vice president shall become president for the remainder of the term or until a successor is elected,
b) in the office of another officer, the board shall fill the vacancy by appointment for the remainder of the term.
SECTION 8. DUTIES
a) The president shall:
1. preside at all meetings of the AzNA and conduct them by a formal order of business,
2. serve as the official representative of the association and as its spokesperson on matters of association policy and positions,
3. serve as an ANA and Membership Assembly representative.
b) The vice president shall:
1. assist the president in designated duties,
2. serve as alternate ANA Membership Assembly representative if the President is unable to attend
3. serve as a liaison to Nominations Committee and oversight to ad hoc committees.
c) The secretary shall:
1. be responsible for ensuring that records are maintained of meetings of the board, and shall notify members of the regular and special meetings of the membership,
2. serve as liaison to the Bylaws Committee,
3. serve as a 2nd alternate representative to the Membership Assembly in the event the President and Vice President cannot attend.
d) The treasurer shall:
1. monitor the fiscal affairs of the association and report to the board and membership,
2. serve as liaison to the Finance Committee,
3. Serve as 3rd alternate representative to the Membership Assembly in the event the President, Vice President and Secretary cannot attend.
e) The Governmental Affairs Officer shall:
1. oversee Governmental Affairs for AzNA
2. serve as 4th alternate representative to the Membership Assembly in the event the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer cannot attend.
SECTION 9. EX OFFICIO MEMBERS
a) There shall be three ex officio members of the board:
1. Chairperson or designee, AzNA PAC Board of Trustees
2. Chairperson or designee, Arizona Nurses Foundation council of Trustees
3. Immediate AzNA past president
b) Ex officio members shall have voice, but no vote, on the AzNA Board of Directors.
c) Ex officio members shall not be considered or counted in determining a quorum of the transaction of business.
SECTION 10. EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
a) The executive director shall be accountable to the board.
b) The executive director shall employ, direct, promote, and terminate staff of the association.
c) The executive director may represent the association and serve as spokesperson on matters of established policy and positions.
SECTION 11. MEETINGS
a) Meetings of the board shall be held at least quarterly. Special meetings of the board may be called by the president on three (3) days notice to each member of the board and shall be called by the president on like notice upon written request of three (3) chapters or members of the board.
b) Business requiring action by the board may be conducted in a face to face meeting or by electronic communication (synchronous or asynchronous).
c) Absence from two (2) consecutive meetings of the board shall be cause for declaring a vacancy in the board position. Such vacancy shall be determined by a majority of the board.
Article V Nominations and Elections
SECTION 1. NOMINATIONS
a) Chapters and members shall be requested to submit names of members who are qualified and willing to serve in elective offices of AzNA, and in the elected and appointive offices at ANA.
b) AzNA members shall be eligible to serve in only one state elected office at any one time. This provision does not apply to the position of ANA Membership Assembly Representatives.
c) At least two nominees whenever possible shall be placed on the ballot for each elective office/position to be filled.
d) The ballot shall be submitted to the board and sent to members of the association at least forty-five (45) days in advance of the membership meeting. Officers are chosen by secret ballot and returned to AzNA office no later than fourteen (14) days before the membership meeting. Officers are announced and installed at the membership meeting.
e) A member who meets the established qualifications for an elective office may declare as a candidate by submitting a consent to serve to the chair of of the AzNA nominating committee by at least sixty (60) days prior to the election date; such name shall appear on the ballot.
SECTION 2. ELECTIONS
a) Each member in good standing of this association shall be entitled to secret vote in elections. Dues for members in good standing shall be received by the treasurer at least forty-five (45) days prior to the first day of the convention.
b) A second opportunity to vote shall not be given or sent to any member for any reason.
c) Ballots shall be compiled by tellers appointed by the president of the association.
d) The plurality of votes cast by those entitled to vote and voting shall constitute an election. In case of a tie, the choice shall be determined by lot at the convention.
e) All records of the election shall be preserved for one year after election.
f) The AzNA slate of candidates will indicate which elective positions are also elective for ANA Membership Assembly representative.
SECTION 3. CHALLENGES
Article VI Meetings
SECTION 1. FREQUENCY
SECTION 2. SPECIAL MEETINGS
SECTION 3. NOTICE OF MEETING
SECTION 4. VOTING BODY
SECTION 1. MEMBERSHIP
SECTION 2. REPRESENTATION
a) Membership Assembly
1. AzNA is entitled to representation at meetings of the ANA Membership Assembly in accordance with ANA Bylaws and policy.
2. ANA Membership Assembly representatives and alternates shall be elected by the individual members of AzNA by secret ballot for a term of two years or until a successor is elected in accordance with these bylaws.
3. Delegates and alternates shall be:
i. elected as directed by these Bylaws and in accordance with the ANA Bylaws.
ii. one elected board member representative and one representative elected from the general AzNA membership. An additional four representatives will be elected as alternates from the general AzNA membership.
Article VIII Standing Committees
SECTION 1. DEFINITION
SECTION 2. COMPOSITION
a) Nominations shall consist of three (3) members elected by the membership. The Chair shall be selected by the committee. The Vice President of the board shall be the liaison to this committee.
b) Bylaws shall consist of five (5) members elected by the membership. The Chair shall be selected by the committee. The secretary of the board shall be liaison to this committee.
SECTION 3. TERM OF OFFICE
SECTION 4. ACCOUNTABILITY
SECTION 5. VACANCIES
a) A vacancy on a standing committee shall be filled by appointment of the board.
b) Absence from two (2) consecutive meetings may be cause for declaring a vacancy in the position. Such vacancy shall be determined by a majority of the board.
Article IX Standing and Ad hoc committees
SECTION 1. DEFINITION
SECTION 2. COMPOSITION
SECTION 3. ACCOUNTABILITY
Article X Chapter Presidents
SECTION 1. DEFINITION
Chapter Presidents will communicate and share information about chapter activities, discuss means to encourage involvement of members, and serve as an advisory group to the President, Board of Directors, and AzNA PAC. The President of AzNA will be a liaison to the Chapter Presidents.
Article XI Quorum
SECTION 1. DEFINITION OF PARTICIPATIONS/ATTENDANCE
SECTION 2. MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
SECTION 3. BOARD OF DIRECTORS
SECTION 4. COMMITTEES
The fiscal year of this association shall be the calendar year.
Article XIII Official Publication
The Arizona Nurse shall be the official publication of this association.
Article XIV Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern meetings of this association in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws.
SECTION 1. WITH NOTICE
a) These bylaws may be amended at any convention or special meeting by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members present and voting.
b) The Bylaws Committee chair establishes the deadline for receipt of proposals for bylaws changes and announces through notice to the membership.
c) All amendments proposed by the Bylaws Committee shall be in the possession of the secretary of this association at least two (2) months before the date of the convention or special meeting, and shall be appended to the call for the meeting.
SECTION 2. WITHOUT NOTICE
4/25/2017 » 4/28/2017
Arizona Nurse Leader Academy - Tucson
4/28/2017 » 4/30/2017
Renewal Retreat for Nurses - Presented by AzNA Chapter 30
SNAAz Mid-Year Convention