The week kicked off with news at the legislature.
A bill is moving through the system that will impact those who pay licensure fees to the Arizona State Board of Nursing. House Bill 2916 was amended with a striker that would mean RN and LPN license fees wouldn't be used to offset the loss of monies from the federal government to support CNA registries. This means that RNs and LPNs won't see their license fees used to support CNA registries, disciplinary actions, and other CNA related activities taken by the Arizona State Board of Nursing and instead place that burden on the CNAs themselves.
Members in legislative districts with representatives on the House Health Committee were notified by AzNA early Monday morning and encouraged to contact their representative regarding the CNA bill.
Tuesday evening, the bill was passed unanimously out of the House Health Committee and will now continue to move forward. AzNA will be sure to let you know when further action needs to be taken.
The Maricopa County Workforce Connections and Maricopa Workforce Development held a Career Fair in Gilbert this week. AzNA let members know this was happening through AzNA Today and posts on Facebook
. Workforce Development reported that with over 250 job seekers, several employers have already set up interviews and are considering offers. The event was a great success and requests have been made from the employers present to hold another event on the west side of Phoenix. We'll let you know details if the event occurs!
Robin Schaeffer, Executive Director:
- Held meetings with directors of the MSD states (Arizona, Idaho, Utah, and Colorado) to update them on the work happening at ANA
- Met with PR representatives to discuss AzNA's reach to the community and the government
- Was given great news about something AzNA and the Arizona Action Coalition have been working on together -- we'll tell you more about it next week!
Debby Wood, Office Manager
- Closed the AzNA's accounting books for January 2015
- Visited and secured a location for AzNA's Biennial Convention - Date and Locations have changed. Convention will now be held on September 23-25, 2015 at the San Marcos Resort in Chandler, Arizona. An Official Announcement will go out to all membership this week
- Began final preparations for APRN Lobby Day, March 4. Registration is open until Wednesday, February 15.
Wendy Schulz, Communications Manager
- Finished detailed task lists for all AzNA events
- Began preparation for marketing materials for Convention while working on completing necessary materials for the Nurse Practitioner Symposium on July 25-26. Save the Date! Registration will open in May.
- Met, along with Robin, with PR representatives to discuss AzNA's reach to the community and the government as well as to discuss branding and marketing details.
Debbie Blanchard, Administrative Assistant
- Assured Continuing Education activities continued to move through the AzNA's CE approval process, including a CE review panel which met here in the office Friday afternoon
- Began to process AzNF Scholarship applications, due here in the office March 1. Scholarship amounts range from $500 to $2500. Scholarships are available at all levels of schooling - ADN to PhD. You or a nursing program student you know still have time to apply!